Dayton Beer Book Tour: Nov-Dec

Undated photo of Star Brewery employees. Courtesy Minster Historical Society.
Undated photo of Star Brewery employees. Courtesy Minster Historical Society.

The book tour for Dayton Beer: A History of Brewing in the Miami Valley kicked off in August with book events at brewpubs and tap houses across the region. I wrapped it up in October with a book discussion and signing at Mother Stewart's Brewing Co. in Springfield.

Now, the tour schedule for the remainder of 2019 is taking shape. Below are the public events on my calendar as of November 4. Copies of Dayton Beer will be available for sale at all events. And I'm still accepting new engagements, so contact me (daytonbeerbook at gmail) if you're interested in having me talk about local brewing history or sign books at one of your events.

But first, I want to give shout-outs to Libby Ballengee and the Gem City Podcast for making Dayton Beer the subject of Podcast #793, and to Bill Kincaid of the Celina Daily Standard for his feature about my event at Moeller Brew Barn in Maria Stein.

November

Thursday Nov 7: Wapakoneta


Photo of City Brewing Co. in Wapakoneta from the 1917 Auglaize County Atlas
City Brewing Co. in Wapakoneta from the 1917 Auglaize County Atlas.

I'm honored to be the guest speaker at the Auglaize County Historical Society's annual meeting. (See the recent article in the Sidney Daily News.) I'll discuss what I learned about the county's long-forgotten brewers and breweries, and how the region's German heritage influenced the industry locally. Did you know tiny Minster was home to a brewery that rivaled Dayton's largest? Or that New Bremen once had two small breweries? The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. in the St. Joseph Catholic Church Parish Life Center on South Blackhoof Street, south of West Pearl in Wapakoneta.



Thursday Nov. 14: Troy


Undated photo of Henne Brewery wagons. Courtesy Troy Historical Society.
Undated photo of Henne Brewery, workers and wagons. Courtesy Troy Historical Society.

I'll speak at the Troy-Miami County Public Library in a joint program with the Troy Historical Society about the county's long brewing history. The tradition of brewing there is as old as anywhere in the Miami Valley, but prohibition efforts at the state level wiped out its breweries in 1909, long before the 18th Amendment banned alcoholic beverages nationwide. It's said Piquads wept as Carl Schnell dumped his brewery's beer into the Great Miami River. And the Henne Brewery in Troy sent men and boys scrambling for cans and cups as it drained its last batch into the Miami and Erie Canal. I'll speak at 6:30 p.m. at the library, 419 W. Main Street in Troy.

Wednesday Nov 20: Tipp City


Image of TenEyck and Greene Malt House ad-Tippecanoe City Herald 8-12-1869
This 1869 Tippecanoe City Herald ad convinced me a brewery must have been nearby, and it was.

When I researched my book, I tried but failed to find any evidence of a brewery in Tipp City. It bothered me because I had found a brewery in nearly every village I researched, no matter how small. It wasn't until I visited the Tipp City Public Library in September, after my book was already off the press, that I chanced upon a clue that ultimately led me to information about Tipp City's long forgotten brewer and his brewery. I'll share what I've learned so far in a joint program with David Nilsen, a certified cicerone and writer. David is well known to Tipp City library patrons for his beer tastings, pairings and classes, but this will be my first appearance there. The program will begin at 6:30 p.m. at the library, 11 E. Main Street in Tipp City.


December


Thursday Dec. 12: Centerville


Photo of the Adam Schantz monument at Woodland Historic Cemetery and Arboretum.
Adam Schantz monument at Woodland Historic Cemetery and Arboretum. Photo by Timothy R. Gaffney

The Washington-Centerville Public Library has invited me to speak about the Dayton region's early brewers at Woodbourne Library. I'll follow Angie Hoschouer, PMP, director of development and marketing at Woodland Historic Cemetery and Arboretum, who will present her popular "Bottoms up! Brewers of Dayton" program. The program is free, but please register here to ensure adequate seating. It's scheduled for 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Woodbourne Library, 6060 Far Hills Ave., Centerville.

You can download and print a copy of my schedule here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

17 Miami Valley brewpubs near bike trails

Dayton: Strong, scarred, surviving

Miami Valley's small breweries then and now